Monday, March 28, 2011

Roseola??? Never Heard Of It

Parker's had a rough last couple of months teething. At the end of January, I took him to the doctor for an ear infection. Two weeks later, I was certain they were still there the way he was pulling on his ears and not sleeping good. But when I took him back, it was just teething. He has had his top 4 front teeth all coming in at the same time! A few weeks ago, the first of four popped through, but he still acted miserable. I took care of that with Tylenol or Ibuprofen but last week was awful! Monday night he had woken up and I noticed a fever and by morning it was still there. I gave him Tylenol (which I had been for days now because of his pain) and figured the fever went along with the teething. Wednesday he was fevering again. He was so hard on Wednesday. He couldn't even fall asleep for his naps because he was so restless but at the same time I could tell he was so tired! I called Justin up and asked him to give him a blessing. In my eyes, he's been suffering from these teeth for 2 months now. That night Justin gave him a blessing that his sickness would leave his body and he would no longer be uncomfortable or in pain and he would be able to sleep. I didn't really think much about the sickness part leaving his body. I just thought he's had a lingering cough from his cold almost a month ago so maybe it was that.

Another thing about Parker, he has eczema, so rough cheeks or little bumps are usual. I had noticed bumps on his neck, under his chin, but just figured he was sweating or hot there. Thursday morning, I noticed the back of his neck was now all bumpy. I put some cream on it (the same I use for his eczema) and left for work. By the time I was done with work, it had spread to the back of his ears, down his back and onto his chest. They were small red bumps all over. My mom mentioned Roseola to me, which I had never heard of. When she told me it was a type of Measles and gave me a print out of the symptoms and everything, my thought was he didn't have a high fever and that must have just been from teething. Also, his second of four teeth had poked through this day, too, so all of his misery was from teething. The next day the rash was worse. It bothered me all day and even called to see if his doctor had an opening, which he didn't so I didn't want to take him to another doctor. (I'm a little biased about my doctor, I guess). By now, the rash was over his face, past his hair line, completely over his belly and spread down into his diaper area. He never really got it on his legs.

Thursday and Friday I had a hard time. Here he had just had a blessing, and the morning after he now had new problems. I have a strong testimony of priesthood blessings...I don't doubt their power, but I was very confused. Thursday night I had a hard time sleeping thinking about all of this. In my head, I sort of told my Heavenly Father that I have faith in blessings, and I heard Justin bless him well, so why was he now rashing all over??? I just wanted help understanding so I would also know if I needed to do something. After work on Friday Parker and Mya took a nap and I searched (again...like I hadn't already done this numerous times) rashes to see what it could be. Everything was leading me to roseola. Even when I typed in Allergy rash the results took me to some one's blog. This blog had a little girl just about Parker's age who was teething and her daughter had a low fever and then a rash. Facts about Roseola is it's usually a high fever that can sometimes cause seizures, but Parker's wasn't ever way high (probably because I had him on Tylenol). This lady wondered if it was an allergic reaction and had a daily recording of signs and had taken her daughter to the doctor daily and by day 3 they decided it was just Roseola (this lady's in Malaysia). I felt like this was my answer. Every search I had done told me it was Roseola. It's the only rash that looked like what Parker had. It helped me to see that the blessing had taken a sickness away that I didn't even know my son had and the fever went away immediately and Roseola ends in a rash, so I guess that's all it was doing. Saturday night his rash had pretty much faded and by Sunday, it was gone.

Other facts about Roseola/Baby Measles/Sixth Disease:
•It's a virus that commonly affects children from 6 months to 2 years-most common age is 9-12 months.
•It is contagious, but not very and is spread through oral secretions
•The fever can be from 103-105 degrees-which can cause seizures-that can last up to a week
•After the fever, a rash that starts at the neck appears and spreads onto the back and front.
•The rash is not itchy
•The best way to treat it is Tylenol.
•It usually does not cause long term effects.
•Professional treatment is usually not required - you just have to wait it out.
•It's not seasonal - can get it any time in the year.
•Call a doctor if you can't get the fever down, child's not drinking, or if your child has a seizure.
Want more info? Mayo Clinic

No comments: