Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Seven-Eighths Of An Inch

5 years ago (you've probably all heard the story) Justin shot an arrow into his wrist. If you don't know the story, you'll have to ask him about it. But ever since he has a constant numbness and tingling up through his thumb from it and every once in a while, it will go through spurts where it will just hurt so bad. A couple of weeks ago, he twisted his wrist at work and ever since then, it's been hurting worse than it ever has. I talked him into (well, threatened really) calling his doctor that had looked it over before and to schedule an appointment with her. Yesterday we went and saw her and ended up scheduling surgery for June 18th. There was something loose in there he noticed since he twisted it, that actually he had tried cutting it out, but nothing came out. So in this surgery, they would remove whatever was loose in there, remove a scar ball on the end of a nerve and bury the nerve, and she thought there would be some sort of cyst in there that they would remove as well...The surgery needs to be done...Justin's been in constant pain since he twisted his wrist and it's just been so off and on for the last 5 years that it will be good to get this done. The timing-not the best right after we just had a baby and we have all of those bills coming in. But I told Justin that he needed to just see the doctor and get this taken care of and something would work out.

So today I got a text from Justin saying he didn't think he needed surgery anymore. I immediately called him thinking he tried cutting his wrist open again. He didn't, though. This morning he said he woke up and his wrist was all bruised. During work he looked down at it, and it looked like something was on his wrist - a flake of something. But when he looked closer, he could tell something was sticking in his wrist, kind of like a sliver or something, but it couldn't be flicked off, so he started to pull on it. This is what he got out of it:
It's part of his arrow! It's 7/8" long and came straight out of his wrist - not at an angle. No wonder it's been killing! I told Justin we should wait a couple of days to see how it feels and to call the doctor after and to get her opinion, but maybe this is one of the Lord's tender mercies. Maybe this is what is causing all of the problems and he won't need surgery now. Or that it can even be delayed and instead of it costing hundreds (or more) right now, it will just cost the $35.00 we paid the doctor yesterday. I am just amazed at our Heavenly Father's awareness of our individual circumstances and love for us. Because even if he still needs the surgery, this will make the next 3 weeks more bearable for him.

2 comments:

Randee Mayes said...

Oh wow!! Such a blessing!!

Dawn said...

I can't believe that was still in him. I still get a little angry when I think of how the hospital neglected Justin...but you are right he has been blessed and will continue to be. :)