Friday, February 5, 2010

Out With The Old...Period

Our afternoons are pretty quiet lately. Now where I only work a day and a half each week, it's just me and Mya at home doing whatever a lot. So at 3:30 in the afternoon, I'm kind of surprised when I hear a loud banging on our door and no cars are in our driveway. I tell Mya to be quiet as I check the peep hole. Just in case it's someone I don't know, I'm not obligated to open the door if they don't know we're home. As I look out, I see a guy all dressed in black, including a black hat, standing not only at the bottom of our stairs, but kind of half way hid behind our garage, so I couldn't see him very well. My heart starts racing. Who is this guy snooping around our house dressed in kind of scary clothes? As I stare at him a little longer, I realize, it sort of looks like a cop uniform. So I think, well, if it's someone bad, I have time to hurry and close my door where he's at the bottom of the stairs. So, I unlock the door, and open it, to find a cop. What are the cops doing at our house???? He then explains to me they received a 911 phone call from our house and wanted to make sure everything was okay. I explain to him that we don't have a home line. He said the call was from a cell phone. Okay....I start thinking...Mya hasn't been near my phone. She just woke up from a nap and my phone was out of her reach. BUT, she was playing with our old phones that no longer have service. I explained that to him that she has one of our old phones that maybe she could have called? He told me that they heard a little kid talking on the other end and newer cell phones will dial 911 even if out of service. I apologized, assured him that we were okay and he left. Not our typical afternoon...but we are definitely done letting Mya play with our old phones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty smart granddaughter, I have. BTW, how did they trace a cell phone call right to your house? I didn't know that they could locate them that accurately. Are you sure it came from your old phone?