Saturday, December 27, 2008

Quick trip to the border and back!

The last few weeks, it's been in the air when Justin was going to go down to Yuma, Arizona to deliver some trailers he made. Every day I was asking him if he knew when he was leaving, but finally, after about 2 weeks, he knew. This past Sunday he was supposed to deliver them, but then they didn't want him to...it was just kind of crazy. It was kind of an eye opener that maybe it was the spirit that didn't want us to go. Maybe something was going to happen and it wouldn't be safe. So Justin went and talked to his dad and Mike (another owner that's in charge of Justin when he makes trailers) and they were fine with him going once Justin found out if he needed permits and other things. So then we decided to pray about whether or not we should go. It was actually a really humbling experience. We completely put our wants aside to see if it would be okay and safe to go. After we both felt fine about it, we went to early church with a different ward, our tithing settlement, and then dropped Mya off at my parent's to head out.

I was actually really intimidated once I saw the haul we needed to drive to almost Mexico. But we got everything ready then started out on the road. We headed down to St. George, through Arizona into Nevada, going through Las Vegas, into California as though we were going to Needles, and over into Arizona into Yuma. We hit 4 states in a day!
A couple of weeks ago my sister asked me if I knew of any good neighborhoods for Christmas lights...well, I found some for you Lisa in St. George and then Vegas had the next best lights (even though they weren't Christmas). That city is very lit up at night.

We saw some intersting things on this trip. Once we got to Yuma, we saw a lot of border patrol! Yuma is only 20 miles away from the border.


This one is kinda crazy:

As we were driving on this road that takes us to Yuma, I saw this thing in the air, but it never looked like it was moving. I probably watched it for 20 minutes or more and it never moved. Once we got close to it, we realized it was a blimp. Nothing around but complete dessert, and there was a blimp. It was plain though and we realized it was border patrol.
Other things we saw: and exterminater truck with pictures of tarantulas, tons of lettuce fields, cotton fields, cows...lots and lots of cows...

When we were leaving Yuma, there was this foul smell. It kept getting worse and it really smelled like you stuck your head in an outhouse toilet. We were trying to see where the smell came from and we looked over and saw tons of black. We figured there were over 100,000 cows at this feed lot. They were packed in so tight and it just went on for probably a half mile out and a mile and a half along the road. We couldn't believe how many there were. It was really disgusting.
(This was my view for over 40 hours we were on the road)

On the way home, we went through Phoenix, Las Vegas, and up through St. George. We hit a storm on the way home once we hit St. George, but decided it would actually be safer to drive through the storm while the roads were slushy and not icy yet.

Home sweet home. We left Sunday afternoon and were back Tuesday morning. What a trip!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Sorry your view couldn't have been any better. They do sell masks!

Brax said...

Glad that is over with and glad you were safe!

Brax said...

oh, and ps I think your view was quite nice! I love that kid!

Justin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin said...

I love you too, don't worry I learned not to take to heart anything that comes out of lisa's mouth.

Anonymous said...

Nat, you've actually stuck your head into an outhouse toilet before???? :-)

Dad