Saturday, March 7, 2009

Quirigua, Guatemala

I'm not sure what it was called where we ported, but Quirigua (sounds like Kitty-Kwa) is where the ruins were. This was the day Mya was really sick, but she did good and as you'll see, she looks pretty good.
This is what the site looked like. There wasn't any temples, just these pillars and rocks everywhere. The whole site was the size of a football field, and at the end of it was this ball court area.
These were actually really cool. John Lund explained what a lot meant on these. The big ears with earrings were Jade earrings which represented a ruler. The feathers coming out of his hat represents "of God" so a priest.
If you look under his chin, it looks like the star of David, but it represents the Urim and Thumim.
This is an alter.
This is the ball court. I didn't hear everything about this due to time, but I know the losers they would sacrifice and once a year they would sacrifice the winners, which was an honor.
A lot of this was 600 AD when the people were more wicked and things were getting twisted in the religion. When Christ came and told them to have a broken heart and a contrite spirit, these people started to take it literally and would cut out the heart to kill them-then the person being killed would see their heart out of their body before they died. They did things because of the traditions, but it was all getting misinterpreted. Some things I learned is there are two snakes or serpents, one with feathers and one without. The one without is Satan and the one with is Christ, because he came down from the heavens when he visited the Nephites. They knew he was coming again, and when Cortes came, a lot thought he was Christ coming again because he came the day they thought Christ would come again and he was a bearded white man like Christ, and when he came he wore black. All of the tribes down there except one thought he was coming back in black, but one group believed he would come back in red. Then Cortes took over the people because of the gold and the rest of the story is pretty much what you learn in history classes.
This is another picture of the 'Tree of Life.'
This pillar is the one Joseph Smith saw a drawing of and said it is like the ones he had seen in his visions. The narrower sides would have two columns of squares with one longer square at the top, which meant a date to follow and the squares below it was the date and what was going to happen.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

This trips sounds like it was so fun! Loved seeing all the pictures.

Dawn said...

I like all the info in your posts. Good Job! Good pics too!

Trichelle said...

I need to copy all the info that you have put on here. I missed out on a lot of that by missing the classes and then with little Miss being a stinker at the sites, I didn't learn very much at all, just enjoyed the beauty; but it would've been much neater knowing all this. I'm so glad that you have written all of it down so I can learn:)