Saturday, March 7, 2009

Joseph Smith Map


This is way cool (I'm not sure if I was allowed to take a picture of this, but I didn't want for forget about this). This map was turned in to Church history years ago by some men. Joseph Smith had drawn in the sand this map (and the two guys copied it onto paper) and said this was Moroni's travels that he had taken to re-bury the gold plates. In his travels, Moroni also dedicated areas for future temples, like our Manti and St. George temple. I thought it was really cool because it has on there Salt Lake Utah, Independence, Arizona, Adam-On-Di-Amon, Nauvoo, and Kirtland. Joseph Smith never made it to a lot of these places. Moroni visited Joseph 23 times. I have no doubt that Moroni showed Joseph his travels and the life of the Nephites and Lamanites. Some if it is kind of hard to read, but off to the side it says (I'm paraphrasing):
Moroni's travels from starting from Central America up to the sand hills in Arizona, up to Salt Lake, to Adam-On-Di-Amon, to Nauvoo, Indepence, then Kirtland. I can't read more, it's cut off, but it goes a little further to where he burried the plates. This was really cool and a testimony booster to me (along with the entire trip). Also, here are some quotes Joseph Smith said about this area:
"Central America, or Guatimala [sic] is situated north of the Isthmus of Darien [Panama]...the city of Zarahelma...stood upon this land..." -Times and Seasons 3:927
"...these wonderful ruins of Palenque are among the mighty works of the Nephites." -Times and Seasons 3:914
"...Quirigua...the city in question...[is] one of those referred to in the Book of Mormon." -Times and Seasons 3"927
Lehi landed "...a little south of the Isthmus of Darien." -TPJS p 267

No comments: